Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Educational Philosophy

During my first semester of college I had developed a philosophy for teaching that was simple, it focused towards being the best teacher possible through trust and respect and that was all you needed. Even though I still believe in that statement, my outlook has changed because of the professors I have observed and admire.

I now believe that there are four basic steps to a successful classroom. First, you must establish trust and respect with each student. Second, each student should be looked upon separately, not labeled in any fashion. It is my responsibility to find the students strengths and weaknesses and build a positive learning environment. Third, teach each student to go as far as they are capable of going and to give them the tools to reach their goal. Their education will be the cornerstone of their future experiences. Last, would be to communicate with each student. By using both verbal and non-verbal communication you can learn from your students, not just lecture. This will build trust and respect for each other.

The learning process never ends, even for the teacher.
To have a successful program it requires numerous hours outside the structured classroom. I have the time to devote and the excitement to share my experiences and knowledge with the students and look forward to learning from them.

No comments: